Pages

Wine and Possibilities

Posted by Wine Stained Lips | Posted on 9:58 AM

RAILROAD, n. The chief of many mechanical devices enabling us to get away from where we are to where we are no better off. For this purpose the railroad is held in highest favor by the optimist, for it permits him to make the transit with great expedition. -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary

This may sound foolish and slightly peculiar, but I truly enjoy walking along train tracks. I know many would say it is reckless or dangerous, but that doesn’t dissuade me. I don’t know what it is about this simple pastime, but each time is like an adventure. I love to take my wine, and a wonderful friend, and walk the rails. There is a beautiful Japanese Garden in my city park that is adjacent to the railroad. A winding trail through the woods takes you to the tracks. Once on the tracks there are several bridges that overlook quiet creeks. It is very peaceful and a great place for deep conversation. It is there, overlooking the creek, that I tend to make many self-realizations. Maybe I’m inspired by the fact that the tracks are a mode of travel. I find comfort knowing that they lead somewhere…somewhere away from here…that there is more to life than what I currently know. The tracks remind me that I am not limited and that my life doesn’t have to be stagnant. I can improve and change and possibly move away. I can travel the world. Although some would call the tracks a hazardous place to spend my time, all I see are the possibilities.

Comments (1)

Good one. I've always liked train tracks myself, especially old ones.

Post a Comment